Pumpkin Main Courses
We would love to know if you have made this recipe. Please tell us about it or send a picture of your culinary creation on Facebook.
3 c pumpkin flesh, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 cups arborio rice
1 cup dry white wine
5 cups chicken stock or vegetable stock
1/2 cup grated parmesan
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1 tablespoon fresh sage (optional)
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Wrap cubed pumpkin in foil and bake at 350°F for 30 min.
- While it is baking, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in medium-size sauce pan.
- Saute the onions and garlic, stirring continuously, just until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the rice and continue to stir and coat the rice with the oil.
- Add the white wine and continue cooking, stirring often, until it has been absorbed by the rice.
- Pour in enough chicken stock to cover the rice completely, about 3 cups, and continue to cook, stirring often, until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Pour in 1 cup more of the remaining stock and stir and cook until it has been absorbed. Repeat with 1 more cup.
- Add the remaining cup and cook, stirring, until the rice is al dente, tender but still very chewy, and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
- Add pumpkin and reduce the heat to very low so that the risotto doesn't simmer anymore.
- Stir in the Parmesan and butter to give the risotto a nice, creamy finish.
- Add the sage, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.