Pumpkin Main Courses
We would love to know if you have made this recipe. Please tell us about it or send a picture of your culinary creation on Facebook.
Submitted by T. Dewese (OH)
1 3/4 cups pumpkin puree
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground allspice
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/3 cups shortening
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
1 egg white (beaten)
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
- Combine pumpkin, 3/4 cup sugar, and allspice. Stir well, and set aside.
- Stir in flour, 1/2 cup sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in shortening with pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Sprinkle 1 cup of milk evenly over surface; stir until all dry ingredients are moistened.
- Shape into a ball; chill.
- Roll out to 1/8-inch thickness.
- Cut into 4-inch circles.
- Place 1 tablespoon of pumpkin mixture in the center of each circle.
- Moisten edges with additional milk; fold in half, and press edges together with a fork.
- Brush empanadas with egg white; place on ungreased baking sheets, and bake at 450 degrees F for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden.
- Combine 1/4 cup sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over empanadas while still warm.